I like MySQL and have been using each release of their GUI tools for Mac OS X and have slowly been getting used to the newer MySQL Workbench tool that replaced their previous GUI tools. I also use MAMP on some dev machines, so using both together is a must-do.
There is a way to setup MySQL Workbench with MAMP/MAMP Pro and these are the list of steps I did to get both apps to work together. There could be better ways so I'll update this post over time.
- Click "New Server Instance".
- Choose "localhost". Click Continue.
- Even if the "Testing the Database Connection" tests all fail, click Continue.
- Operating System & MySQL Package: Choose "Mac OS X".
- Testing Host Machine Settings: Even if the tests all fail, click Continue.
- Check "Change Parameters" and click Continue.
- Update - Path to Configuration File:
/Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock, click "Check Path" then "Check Name" - both should pass.
- Commands to start & stop MySQL - start:
/Applications/MAMP/bin/stopMysql.sh- You may or may not need to check the elevated privileges checkbox (I didn't need to).
- Server Instance Name: [email protected] (or whatever you want)
- Enjoy MySQL Workbench to administer users, databases, etc. It's worth it.